Wednesday, January 9, 2008

What is Self-Respect

WHAT IS SELF-RESPOECT? WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EGO AND SELF-RESPECT?


There is a very subtle difference. It would be really nice, if you can observe this difference. Ego simply means that I am different and others should consider me different. I am talented, I am smart, I am intelligent or I am good orator and due to several such other reasons people should respect me -- this is called ego. When people become important; when you consider yourself in the opinion of others; when things are other-oriented, it is ego. But when you think that the greatness is due to my belonging to something, it is not ego. And due to this, there arises a sense of respect for the self. That is self-respect. It is respect in one's own eyes. When
I consider myself as Osho's sannyasi; Osho as my master, or I am born in India, or we are descendents of Ram-Krishna and due to rich heritage of your ancestors you feel a sense of pride, it is self-respect. Self-respect has nothing to do with the other. This is the biggest difference. For a seeker having ego is a hurdle for self-growth, but without having self-respect he cannot touch the highest skies of spiritualism. The Shabads sung by the Sikh masters are symbols of egoless ness but they are full of self-respect. You all must have heard the Shabad of Saint Kabir - 'Hum Kookar Tere Darbar, bauke aage badan pasare.'
It means: We are the dogs of your court O Lord. And we shall bark by spreading our body.

People often misinterpret it as humbleness, but it is not so. This is an open declaration of self-respect. It means O lord, We are not just normal people. We are the dogs of Your court. And with pride he further states - "Santa Manau duta danau."
Kabir Sahib has sharpness in his expression. He is a dictator of words. He just changes the words according to his wish. "Santa Manau" - I give respect to the saints. If you ask why, it is my wish. I respect those who are dear to my Lord. Who are dear to the Lord? The saints are dear to Him. And "Duta Danau" and those people whom my Lord does not respect I also scold them. "Bauke aage badan pasare" - and with much joy I sing the songs of My lord, enjoy moving around and am filled with self-respect that I am employed in His service. As a man employed in a state's service, or nation's service or U.N.O's service says it with such pride, then imagine the pride of the employee of Divine's court. Being an employee of the Existential Government is not a symbol of humbleness but of self-pride.

Guru Arjun Dev says it perfectly - "Hum Chakar Govind ke." I am the employee of the government of my Lord and due to this I respect myself. Thus, when there is respect and regard due to the belongingness that is self-respect. And on the other hand, when we expect from others to respect us and appreciate us for our qualities, our wealth, our power and our greatness, it is ego.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very nicely explained..Thank you